Yoga in Sri Lanka: Our top choices
» Here is our selection of the best yoga retreats, yoga holidays and yoga teacher trainings in Sri Lanka «
After over 25 years of civil war, peace has returned to the island nation of Sri Lanka and tourism is booming. Located just off the southeastern coast of India, this “pearl of the Indian Ocean” has much to offer to the visitor: magnificent beaches, spectacular hill stations, lush rainforests, tea plantations, ancient cities and eight Unesco World Heritage sites located in the Cultural Triangle.
Yoga has been practiced for a long time in Sri Lanka. There are many yoga classes on offer by qualified teachers in the capital, Colombo. A Kriya Yoga ashram is located in Dehiwela, just south of Colombo. There are also a growing number of wellness centers and yoga retreats around the island where yoga is taught in a residential setting. This is a chance to practice yoga in beautiful natural surroundings: by the beachside with the sound of the ocean as a soundtrack, amid lush tropical gardens or verdant paddy fields, or with the beautiful hills of the hill country as a backdrop.
During the high tourist season, local and international instructors are invited to come teach special intensive retreats and workshops. Classes in meditation and pranayama are often taught as subsidiary subjects, and may centers also offer Ayurveda therapies, or other activities like Tai Chi and surfing.
The best time to visit Sri Lanka is during the dry season which runs from December to March. There are two monsoon seasons here: from May to August, and from October to November. The southwestern part of the island receives the highest rainfall.
- What we love
- The stunning landscapes of the hill country and the beautiful sandy beaches of the south coast
- The friendly, hospitable locals
- This is a small island, so travel distances are short
- What to know
- 30-day visas can be obtained online from the Sri Lanka Electronic Travel Authorization System (www.eta.gov.lk)
- Road conditions can be poor in many parts of the country
- The rail network can be unreliable
- Why go
- This is a beautiful, inspiring place to deepen your yoga practice
- There are many yoga retreats to choose from in a variety of beautiful natural settings
- Sri Lanka’s Cultural Triangle has many Unesco World Heritage Sites
»It takes a village to raise a consciousness«Yoga style: Ashtanga, Sivananda, Iyengar, Vinyasa, Restorative, OtherYoga offer: Yoga retreatsLocation: Sri Lanka > Maho
»A little luxury and a little surfing in sparkling Sri Lanka «Yoga style: Hatha, Vinyasa, IyengarYoga offer: Yoga retreats, Other, Yoga teacher trainingLocation: Sri Lanka > Talalla
Yoga style:Yoga offer:Location: Sri Lanka > Tangalla
»a luxury boutique hotel offering Ashtanga Yoga retreats and tailored Yoga packages«Yoga style: AshtangaYoga offer: Yoga retreats, Private classes, Yoga courses, Other, Local classesLocation: Sri Lanka > Tangalle