Yoga in Spain: Our top choices
» Here is our selection of the best yoga retreats, yoga holidays and yoga teacher trainings in Spain «
Spain is a lot more than just beaches – it’s also one of the most popular yoga destinations in Europe. This is the perfect destination for those who want to combine a yoga retreat with a Mediterranean holiday. The pleasant climate, great food, friendly people, and stunning landscapes and architecture make it the ideal place to relax and rejuvenate by the seaside.
Yoga enthusiasts planning a trip to Spain are spoilt for choice. There’s something for every level and budget: from the casual beginner to the advanced practitioner, and luxury boutique retreats to affordable yoga holidays. There are also a variety of settings to choose from. Some opt to combine yoga classes with a beach holiday in Andalucia, with others prefer a quiet yoga retreat in a stunning landscape like the rolling hills of north-eastern Spain.
Spain certainly has no dearth of yoga teachers. Iyengar-certified teachers are listed in 27 cities across Spain on the BKS Iyengar website, just as an example. Many internationally-acclaimed teachers are also invited to conduct special yoga workshops throughout the year. Intensive residential yoga teacher training courses are also regularly offered across Spain.
Most yoga retreats aimed at holidaymakers take place at the resorts on the southern coast, while the northern region of Ibiza – the center of an alternative scene far removed from the rave parties of the south of the island – is also a popular yoga destination. There are also many yoga studios on the island of Mallorca and the Canary Islands, offering a variety of styles of yoga (Iyengar, Ashtanga, Vinyasa, Bikram, Kundalini) and special yoga workshops held over the summer months often taught in English or even German, and of course Spanish.
Yoga fans looking to combine a yoga retreat with a beach holiday come in the hot summer months, but spring and autumn are perfect for those who prefer to beat the heat. A winter yoga holiday in Spain is also the ideal way to escape the snow and icy cold of northern climes.
- What we love
- Stunning landscapes: from sandy beaches to majestic mountains and idyllic islands
- The warm Mediterranean climate provides the perfect escape
- The relaxed lifestyle and vibrant nightlife
- What to know
- The popular beach resorts on the south coast are best avoided in the summer
- Summer temperatures can climb into the high 30s
- Incidents of pick pocketing and street crime are common. Be aware of your belongings at all times, especially in major tourist centres or when using public transport
- Why go
- Spain is easily accessible from most European countries with many air connections
- Compared to other European countries, this is an affordable destination
- Spain is an ideal destination any time of the year
»Living differently in Andalusia«Yoga style: Iyengar, HathaYoga offer: Yoga retreatsLocation: Spain > Órgiva
»Affordable yoga holiday«Yoga style: SivanandaYoga offer: Yoga retreatsLocation: Spain > Tarragona
»Proving that Ibiza is not just for clubs«Yoga style: Other, YinYoga offer: Yoga retreatsLocation: Spain > Ibiza