Yoga in Portugal: Our top choices
» Here is our selection of the best yoga retreats, yoga holidays and yoga teacher trainings in Portugal «
Perched on the westernmost edge of Europe on the Atlantic Ocean, Portugal is one of the most picturesque European countries, full of natural wonders, national parks, rolling hills and valleys, ancient hilltop towns with cobble-stoned lanes, and majestic palaces and castles. This is the place to go for a yoga class with a view: many yoga retreats and yoga holidays are offered here in stunning natural settings which provide the perfect backdrops for a relaxing and rejuvenating break from routine.
Yoga vacations, detox retreats, wellness holidays and yoga teacher training programs are held at a variety of scenic locations across Portugal, mostly during the spring and summer months. Ashtanga, Vinyasa and Kundalini are some of the most popular yoga styles taught here, along with complementary teachings in meditation, massage and Ayurveda. Retreat locations include rustic farms, traditional country houses and beachside resorts and activities like trekking, horse riding and watersports. Yoga combined with surfing is especially popular in Portugal.
The best time to go to Portugal is during the warm spring months or during the summer season. Temperatures can go over 100ºF (40ºC) in July and August in coastal regions. The autumn months of September and October are also pleasant. The period from November to March tends to be the rainiest time of the year and not ideal for a visit. Most yoga retreat centers will not be operational during this time.
- What we love
- The country’s old-world charm and rustic scenery
- Its’ stunning topographical diversity
- The many fabulous opportunities for trekking, swimming, surfing and other outdoor sports
- What to know
- Summer can be very hot, with temperatures climbing over 100ºF (40ºC)
- The southern Algarve region gets crowded in the peak tourist season
- Winter months can be very rainy
- Why go
- Compared to other European countries, Portugal offers excellent value for money
- This is the perfect destination for beach and surf lovers
- Many charter flights connect several destinations in Portugal with countries in Western Europe
»Curling waves and curling bodies in Portugal «Yoga style: HathaYoga offer: Yoga retreats, OtherLocation: Portugal > Cascais
»Where time is measured in seasons, not seconds «Yoga style: HathaYoga offer: Yoga retreatsLocation: Portugal > Aljezur